A process engineer I is responsible for assisting senior process engineers and process engineers II with the conceptual and detailed design of the processes and chemistry included in each company prospective and contracted project. The process engineer I will be involved in multiple projects simultaneously, with projects at different stages, at any given time. This position will be under direct supervision of the vice president of engineering.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Utilizes the process simulation software to develop and optimize conceptual and detailed designs of the processes to be utilized in execution of company prospective and contracted work.
- Develops and maintains spreadsheet tools for detailed design of equipment and systems required for contracted work.
- Develops and reviews process specifications for equipment pertinent to execution of the job.
- Works with other engineering and design staff in the development of Process Flow Diagrams and Piping and Instrument Diagrams (P&IDs) for each project.
- Performs system studies to ensure cohesion of equipment and physical equipment orientation within systems for the design purpose.
- Basic recognition of appropriate company and industry codes and ensure conformance of specified systems and equipment.
- Works with the project detail group to solicit quotations for components from potential suppliers as predetermined by other engineering, design, project management and this position.
- Completes evaluations of returned quotations, makes selections based on that evaluation and returns completed evaluation forms to Project Management for review and final approval.
- After final approval, provides final specifications including equipment specifications, selected vendors, pricing and any other pertinent data to the project detail group for execution of the purchase of the required equipment.
- Participates in operability and hazards assessments (PHA or HAZOP) for safe operation of facilities to be built.
- Develops conceptual control system design and communicates with appropriate control systems specialists for optimized and safe control system design, installation and functionality.
- Develops and/or reviews cause and effect diagrams for intention and functionality for safe and effective process operation.
- Support in training of client operations staff on the design and operational intent of the provided equipment.
- Support plant operations personnel in commissioning and startup of completed process systems.
- Provides technical support and troubleshooting of ongoing client process operations, as required,.
- Participates in project meetings at the request of the project manager.
- Prepares for daily interaction with other engineering, design, project detail, project managers and fabrication personnel as well as vendors.